The Trent University Alumni Association was proud to present Caleb Smith with the 2017 Spirit of Trent Award during homecoming.
Gathered before a raucous crowd at Justin Chiu stadium, Caleb was recognized before Trent faced Waterloo on the pitch. It was a wonderful way to kick off homecoming weekend.
The founder and president of the Trent University Rugby booster club, Caleb keeps the flame of Trent Rugby alive in alumni across Canada and around the world. Through his leadership, the booster club has gained over 100 members and is responsible for increasing game-day attendance as well as keeping our alumni base up to date on events, scores, and notable player news for the club. He has helped raise a significant amount of financial support for the operation of the current rugby program.
On top of his booster club activities, Caleb was a lead organizer for the Trent 50th Anniversary Athletics Reunion as well as for the 50 Years of Rugby event at the 2016 Head of the Trent. He has also been president of the Niagara Chapter of the Alumni Association for the past decade.
Caleb has maintained a leadership role in Ontario rugby as a player, coach, convener, committee member, and board director. His roles have included:
- Assistant Women's Rugby Coach Brock University
- Ontario Summer Games gold medal coach of the Niagara 18 and under side
- New York State Championship Coach of Niagara University Rugby
- President Niagara Flag Rugby
- Director of Minor and Junior Rugby for Rugby Ontario
- President of the Niagara-on-the-Lake Minor Rugby Club
- Consultant of Minor Rugby for Rugby Ontario
Not only does Caleb truly bleed green, but he shows an absolute commitment to promoting both education and sports.
It is an honour and privilege to recognize Caleb as an alumni leader.